Monday 12 December 2011

Week 12 & 13: Pitch and Feedback & Investigation into TV Idents

Last week I presented my final idea to 3 of my peers in the form of a pitch. Within this pitch I presented my final idea and I was given feedback from my peers about different elements within my idea which they believe I could improve. I was happy with my pitch as I created a PowerPoint which showed the relevant information regarding my final idea. The elements which I included within my pitch include: Content, Theme, Colour Scheme, Logo, Typography, Existing/ Similar Products, Example of my Idea and Target Audience. Within my previous post I stated that my final idea was ITV1 at Christmas. This is the idea which I discussed within my pitch. The feedback which I gained from my pitch was good. I was happy with the way my peers reacted to my idea. They did give me some improvements which I could make to my idea to improve it. These improvements include:
  • Experiment with other colours for my ITV1 logo (gold)
  • Consider issues which could arise in terms of filming the footage: this is an element I need to consider, as my idea is based on a Christmas tree, therefore I will need to film this within the Christmas period.
I have considered these two elements and I will respond to these within the pre-production and production stage of this assignment. These improvements I believe will help me when I create my ident. I am glad I have had some feedback on my idea and have also gained feedback from the potential target audience of my ident.

Investigation
Over the past two weeks I have been continuing with my investigation into TV idents. Through the process of completing this investigation I have learnt a lot about the purpose, design, opportunities, Limitations and communication of TV idents. Within the investigation I have stated these different elements in relation to TV idents. I have analysed existing TV idents in relation to the different elements, this allowed me to understand and show my understand of how the purpose, design, communication and opportunities TV idents have. Some of this knowledge includes:
Design
Density of Information: This relates to the amount of information included within the ident. This usually relates to the voice over informing the viewer of what is coming next on the channel. The information ranges from the voice over simply stating the programme name to giving a synopsis.
Screen Tempo: The screen tempo relates to the speed of the ident. These are usually a slow pace as they allow a relaxing break in between programmes. The speed of the idents does depend on the channel and the target audience. For example, ITV2 idents are have a faster tempo than those on ITV1. This is because the target audience is different.
Space and Time: This relates to how well the space on screen is used and the duration of the idents. This varies between each channel, for example, Channel 4 idents use the screen space very well. This is because they create an illusion of the '4' using a landscape which covers the whole screen.

Purpose
Identity: The identity is important for the channel. Through the use on idents on their TV channels the channel itself is creating more of an identity. People will recognise the channel by its ident in terms of the format of the ident.
Scheduling- Idents can be seen as adverts and breaks within TV programmes, especially within channels such as BBC.
Segmentation within scheduling: This allows the programmes to be ‘broken up’ and show that one programme has finished and they are now introducing another.
Opportunities
Brand loyalty: Faithfulness of consumers of a particular TV channel in terms of viewing figures- competing channels. Tight scheduling with programmes appealing to a particular audience.
Creation of corporate identity: Channels colour schemes, designs make a visual statement about channel itself which represents how the company views itself.
Limitations
Typography: Appeal to the target audience and meaning of typeface
Colour palette: The appearance of the colours could change when the ident is viewed on different devices such as computer, TV and mobile.

Time Management
Throughout the process of this project so far I have been using my production schedule to complete my production documentations by the deadlines I have set myself. I am on schedule in terms of the the production documents I have completed. The only document which is incomplete and should have been completed by today is my Proposal. I will aim to complete this document tomorrow as I have all the relevant information I need to complete this. The proposal is similar to my pitch and allows me to justify my final idea. A deadlines which I have this week is my investigation into TV idents. This is a deadline which I will meet and I have been given set deadlines like this throughout this assignment. This includes the pre-production documents deadline and the final deadline. I have stated these deadlines within my production schedule. By having these certain deadlines it allows me to plan and schedule when I will complete certain tasks and gives me a clear time frame. Overall, in terms of my time management I believe I have completed the relevant documents according to my production schedule.

This week I will complete my investigation and my proposal. I will also continue with improvements from previous Film Studies work and start responding to feedback for my final idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment